Thursday, July 21, 2011

Great Defenders – Reflection on Readings for Friday, July 22, 2011


At the risk of massively dating myself, my video gaming experience began with Pong and Marlboro Reds in a friend’s basement and essentially ended with Asteroids at Birmingham Bowl and bowls of another sort.  At the time I thought Asteroids was pretty cool but by the time Asteroids Deluxe came around I was more interested in Long-necks and rollin' a few frames with friends.  I suppose what I’m really attempting to say here is that I’ve been entirely left in the dust by today’s video game culture.  To say Jan McGonical’s TED presentation was a bit of an eye opener would be putting it extremely mild.  Further disclosure of cluelessness in said subject area: I had never heard of World of Warcraft before viewing the McGonical video.  While I’m at it, ditto for every single other game mentioned in the James Paul Gee essay as well.   But wow, what powerful persuasion.  The sheer number of people who play and hours they spend playing clicked off in McGonical’s piece were nearly beyond my comprehension.  The parallel education analogy of kids at 21 years spending equal time at video gaming as with school academics she mentioned was also really startling.  But the vision and plan she laid out was oddly hopeful.  There does appear then to be something very significant going on in this world I know next to nothing about.  I can only think to run for cover to the game that has always brought me the same sense of happiness and well-being, that she touched upon in her four discoveries, and quote the late Ben Hogan when he first encountered Jack Nicklaus on the golf course: “He plays a game with which I am not familiar.”

To think video games could instill a belief within that something is always possible (Urgent Optimism), that trust in others is crucial to fulfillment and improving (Social Fabric), that one can be happiest when working hard (Blissful Productivity) and that awe inspiring missions are merely just around the corner (Epic Meaning), well, who really, coulda known?  About a billion-and-one clued-in others it appears.  I have a whole new respect and appreciation for the power in the joystick.  Are those still part of the game?

Oh, I'm the Great Defender
And I really think I've got it made
A fistful of quarters, a fifty dollar stake
Life is a gamble on Videotape
I called a disc jockey to dedicate a song to Blair
It's the 'Four Tops' singing 'I'll be there'
Down at the arcade
The president called to give me the news
I've been awarded the Nobel Price in rhythm and blues
And Stevie Wonder wants to record one of my songs
Oh, I'm the Great Defender
And I really know just how to get along
Oh, I'm the Great Defender, listen to my song
I really hope you like it, it isn't very long
It's rooted in the fifties but its heart's in 1984
And if you really like it
Then I sing it for you once more
Down at the arcade

– Lou Reed, Down At The Arcade

4 comments:

  1. Ha! Charlie, I'm pretty clueless about gaming, too! Well, I have just never been tempted by it, and have also been dissuaded (probably like a lot of women, but I'm just guessing) by the stereotypes about gamers.

    But I, too, found Jane McGonigal's argument quite compelling. It is incredible to think about this "parallel education" that kids (boys? Or are girls/teenage girls also into gaming?) are receiving, and I find it very encouraging that someone is studying that and trying to harness it and defend it rather than just wringing their hands and talking and talking about the DOWNFALL OF CIVILIZATION!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is never too late to learn about and start playing games. If online ones are too intimidating, there are a number of really really cool and complicated in a mentally challenging way board games that I think you social sciences/languages people would be able to incorporate into your lessons with great success. Let me know if you are interested and I can suggest a few/bring some in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Life is a gamble on Videotape"... Lou Reed's lyrics speak to the emerging virtual culture in which we live. Our virtual presence is an extension of who we are, as we life in parallel existences in virtual space. Our risks, professionally, socially, and otherwise are taken in reality and "on videotape." Gaming may be a safer world in which to take risks, however, before we venture and risk in the "real one", and may be beneficial practice for complex interactive environments (World of Warcraft).

    ~Mindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like you, I am amazed at the number of hours kids are spending playing video games. I shouldn't be surprised, knowing how many days a week my guy friends are pulling out their X-Box. But I wonder if at some point, there is nothing else at the educational level that kids can get out of games. With World of Warcraft, is it possible for kids reach a point where they understand how to take risks and know to work with others to complete tasks?

    ReplyDelete